Kirkbampton

Kirkbampton is a village and a civil parish on the B5307 road in the Cumberland District, in the English county of Cumbria. The parish population taken at the 2021 census was 495. It is near the city of Carlisle. It has a church called St Peter’s Church, and a primary school (Kirkbampton C of E School). It contains townships of Little Bampton, Oughterby and Ploughlands.

Parking & Transport

The village hall has its own car park for hirers with 50 parking spaces in bays including 4 disabled spaces at the front of the hall entrance with ramped access to the hall.  The hall is located just off the main road next to the school.

The stagecoach 93a passes through the village on a regular timetable. 

By Bob Jenkins, CC BY-SA 2.0, Link

St Peters Church

Founded in 1194, the church is still very much as it was built, with the addition of a Victorian porch and vestry. The carved Norman doorway leads into the church and the Norman chancel arch has wonderful carving, with the face of a green man on the left. In the 1870s restoration work and the removal of the plaster from the chancel stonework, revealed a Roman carved stone, which was probably from Hadrian’s Wall, which was only a mile from the church. The two bells, still in use today, were cast in 1705. Of special interest is the Roman stone in the south wall, inscribed VEX, LEG P.F.FEC – translated ‘The troops of the 6th Legion, the victorious, pious & faithful did this work’.

 

 

Nearby the village

Created in 2002 on the site of the former Great Orton WW2 Airfield. Following the burial of farm livestock killed during the Foot and Mouth Disease between February and July of 2001.

The after use of the site as a nature reserve was overwhelming view of people from the Local Community who responded to a consultation. It was renamed Watchtree as this was the name of the farm that occupied the site before it was developed as the Airfield in 1942.

Edward I died on the edge of the Solway, on 7th July 1307, on his way north for a last assault on his enemy Robert the Bruce. This monument is sited at the place of his death at a remote point on the Solway Plain close to the mouth of the River Eden. Looked after by Cumbria County Council there is a nice short walk from the nearest parking point.

Finglandrigg Wood is a National Nature Reserve (NNR) managed by Natural England. It is one of the largest areas of semi-natural woodland on the Solway Plain and includes woodland, lowland peat bog, heathland and rough pasture: all of which provide habitat vital to an wide array of plants and animals.